Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2011 Reading List


Do you love to read?  As long as I can remember, I have LOVED to read.  I have been known to screen phone calls and not the leave the house if I have a good book in hand.  They have a way of transporting you to a different place and you feel like you are living right along with the characters.  I remember going to the library with mom during the summers or at the start of Christmas break and checking out five or ten books to read....and reading them all and sometimes going back for round two!  


My reading tapered off during college, and I didn't really get back into it until one of my closest friends started a book club.  It was just what the doctor ordered, and I am back into the groove of reading again and love it!  During book club, Emmaline told us all about Goodreads.  It is kind of like Facebook for reading.  You sign up at www.goodreads.com and search for and mark books according to the status (i.e. read, currently reading or to-read).  After you have this set up, you search for your friends and you can see what books they are reading or want to read and their thoughts on them. It is a great way to find book suggestions from people you trust.


Now that I have talked your ear off about reading, my list for 2011 is below.  I made a goal to read twelve books this year, which is why my list is twelve deep.  With all of my subway riding, I am always in need of a good book.


1.   The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
2.   Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
3.   Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado
4.   Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5.   Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
6.   Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
7.   Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow
8.   Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
9.   The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
10. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
11. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
12. Unashamed by Francine Rivers

What book do you really want to read this year?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love and Respect is really good. I would recommend it to any couple - no matter how long they've been married or how newlywed they are!

Unknown said...

Have you read Water for Elephants yet - LOVED it! And they are about to release it in movie version so you need to read it first! :-) MISS YOU!!

Amanda said...

Heather: Mitch and I got Love and Respect as a wedding present, but haven't read it yet. We have heard so many great things about it recently that we are both determined to read it this year. I'm glad to know that you recommend it!

Bethany: I just read the reviews of Water for Elephants, and I cannot wait to read it. I need to figure out when the movie will be released so that I can read it first. Thanks for the suggestion, and I hope wedding planning is going well!

Andrea said...

Good choices!

Dayle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dayle said...

Panda! I love your reading list. Jane Eyre was definitely one of my favorites in highschool. Water for Elephants is a must - I flew right thru it. I don't think I got off the couch for a couple of days until it was done! I also recommend Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski. I'm almost done - the Lord has used it to completely change my heart towards Chad. And I also checked out Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - excited to start this weekend! I may have to take a couple off your list when I'm looking for something new to start!

Amy said...

I'm rereading favorites this year, but I want to check out Love and Respect and Water for Elephants. And I've had a copy of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for ages that I haven't gotten around to reading yet ...

Amanda said...

Day, i just read about Womanly Dominion, and it sounds really interesting. I will definitely have to put it on the list. I hope you are doing great! I ran across Kamp pictures of us the other day, and it made me miss you tons!

Amy, Katherine raved about Love and Respect, so she is the one that made me want to put it on the list. I am just now starting Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I will let you know how it is!