Do you love to read? As long as I can remember, I have LOVED to read. I have been known to screen phone calls and not the leave the house if I have a good book in hand. They have a way of transporting you to a different place and you feel like you are living right along with the characters. I remember going to the library with mom during the summers or at the start of Christmas break and checking out five or ten books to read....and reading them all and sometimes going back for round two!
My reading tapered off during college, and I didn't really get back into it until one of my closest friends started a book club. It was just what the doctor ordered, and I am back into the groove of reading again and love it! During book club, Emmaline told us all about Goodreads. It is kind of like Facebook for reading. You sign up at www.goodreads.com and search for and mark books according to the status (i.e. read, currently reading or to-read). After you have this set up, you search for your friends and you can see what books they are reading or want to read and their thoughts on them. It is a great way to find book suggestions from people you trust.
Now that I have talked your ear off about reading, my list for 2011 is below. I made a goal to read twelve books this year, which is why my list is twelve deep. With all of my subway riding, I am always in need of a good book.
1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
2. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
3. Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
7. Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow
8. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
9. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
10. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
11. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
12. Unashamed by Francine Rivers
What book do you really want to read this year?