Friday, May 20, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

I love potatoes!  I like them plain, mashed, baked, souped and saladed.  Seriously, if you make them, I will eat them.  My favorite is mashed potatoes, but this soup is a very close second.  I found a version of this recipe in Southern Living before Mitch and I got married, and it was one of the first things I cooked for him after we tied the knot.  It has evolved into a staple in our household; we eat it no matter what time of year, and it makes wonderful leftovers.

Baked Potato Soup
6 large russet potatoes
1 large onion, chopped
3 14 oz. cans chicken broth
1/4 C butter
2 1/2 t salt
1 1/4 t pepper
1 C half and half
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
3 T chopped chives (I often use dried chives from my spice rack)
6 bacon slices, crumbled

Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.  Combine the first six ingredients in a dutch oven or soup pot. Cover and cook on medium high heat until the potatoes are really tender, approximately 30 minutes.  Mash mixture until the soup is thickened.  Stir in the cream, 1 cup cheese, half of the bacon and chives.  Top with the remaining bacon and cheese.


You can also do this in a crockpot.  The only variation is that you cook it on high for four hours or on low for eight.  I did this a lot when I was working.  Happy Eating!

1 comment:

BD said...

trying this today! thanks for the recipe.